Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Birth of a Blog...

Thursday, November 20th could possibly be one of the most surprising days of my life. I had entered my dorm room after getting out of stats class an hour early (Thank Goodness! I am not a Math person whatsoever...) and sat down at my computer. I did my daily sweep of websites and when I got to LoneStarBall.com (LSB) I read "Kam Loe to Japan". My heart sank. Kameron Loe was my favorite player and had been since the summer of 2007 and now, he was headed to Japan for at least one year. Almost immediately upon reading that line I began crying (embarrassing, but true) and even awoke my roommate from her mid-afternoon nap with a few choice words.

Although this move was not the best one for his followers, like me, it was obviously a good move for him. To my understanding he will get to be a starting pitcher, not a reliever. He will also got a nice little raise too! The more and more I thought about this, the more and more I realized what a great opportunity Japan actually was for Kam.

Friday night I sat in my dorm thinking. I couldn't just let my favorite player drift into the unknown world of Japanese baseball without some sort of following. By doing just a few searches of NPB (Japan's Professional League) I found out that most of the first-hand sources were in Japanese. I realized that keeping up with Kam would be quite difficult if there wasn't one controlled source in English reporting. I knew that there was a very little chance of anyone else picking up the idea of reporting on Kam's status in Japan so I quickly picked up the idea and started brainstorming.

That, my friends, is how "Keepin' up with Kam" was born. Now just to clarify, I don't intend to report on every game...just the ones he pitches in. Why? Because keeping up with one player in Japan is hard enough let alone reporting on every game. However, when summer roles around and College work takes a break, I may find myself posting a little more.

Here are some basic details:

-The Player: Kameron Loe

-The Position: RHP (Right Handed Pitcher)

-The Team: The SoftBank Hawks

-The City: Fukuoka, Japan

-The Stadium: The Fukuoka Yahoo! Japan Dome

-The Level: Nippon Professional Baseball (NPB) - Puro Yakyū (Japanese for Professional Baseball)

-The League: The Pacific League

-The Rules: Much like the American League, The Pacific League uses a Designated Hitter unlike its counterpart the Central League.

-The Season: Begins late March to early April ending in October

I know those details are quite broad but I think they are a good start to help 'grasp' the idea of Japanese Baseball. I plan on doing my next couple of posts on myself, which should involve a few funny baseball stories. After that, I will then attempt to go more in-depth with some of the topics listed above. I also want to do a post about some of the 'oddities' that I have already found in Japanese culture in Baseball. Hopefully, all of that will keep me busy until the season starts!

-Holly

"There's no crying in Baseball!"
-Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks)
- A League of Their Own

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Holly,

This is Kameron Loe. I wanted to first thank you for all of your support. It is greatly appreciated. My family had been searching for ways to follow my season and they had come up with almost nothing, just a few hard to read box scores. It is because of you that they are able to watch me pitch this season! Your blog has been a blessing in their baseball following lives. I would love to contact you. Could you post your email? Not sure if you want to do that but thought I would ask. Again, thank you and I hope school is going great for you.

Kam

Holly R. said...

Hey Kameron!
Thank you soooo much for commenting - made my day! You can email me at hrust89@yahoo.com - That's the account I check the most (at least 300 million times a day...haha). Hope you are having a better time understanding Japanese than I am. A "?" best describes my attempts to get it.

-Holly