Friday, November 28, 2008

The Wisdom of Teeth and Thanksgiving

I am super sorry about my recent hiatus, I have had just about the most miserable Thanksgiving of my life. Wednesday, I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I actually got to go completely under for the ordeal but in the end, I was in a whole lot of pain! The first few hours were okay but, once the numbness in my mouth left I just about died in pain. Luckily though, the Doc prescribed me Vicodin. Vicodin is now my new temporary best friend. Apparently, after my procedure while I was in 'recovery', I was laughing uncontrollably and stating that I had had fun and wanted to 'to do it again!' There is nothing as funny as someone on sedatives, even if it is yourself.

Well, Thanksgiving came and went. I was only able to each cranberries (which I love!!) and mashed potatoes covered in gravy. After supper, I found that desserts were much easier to eat. Especially the homemade sweet potato pie my dad made. At least I didn't have the chance to stuff my face this year; that is never good.
That's enough about my teeth and eating troubles. In baseball news, on Wednesday the Rangers put Kameron Loe on Unconditional Release Waivers. And of course, we all know that he will eventually sign with the Softbank Hawks.

TOKYO, Nov. 27 (18:40) Kyodo

The Texas Rangers said Wednesday they have placed right-hander Kameron Loe on unconditional release waivers and expect him to sign with the Softbank Hawks.

''The club has placed Loe on irrevocable waivers for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release. Loe is expected to sign with the Softbank Hawks of the Japanese Pacific League,'' the Rangers said in a press release.

His deal is worth $2 million over two years, according to U.S. media outlets.The 27-year-old Loe has a 19-23 career record with a save and a 4.77 ERA in five major league seasons -- all with the Rangers. He was 1-0 with a 3.23 ERA in 14 relief appearances this past season.

Loe is known to occasionally bring his 2-meter-long pet snake, named Angel, to ballparks.

Obviously, because Kam hasn't signed a contract yet is the reason why the Hawks haven't even recognized him yet on their website. I've got a feeling that Kam is going to be a really popular player in Japan.

Anyways, onto some weird stuff. I have found that the Japanese are obsessed with knowing blood type. I asked my roommate about this (she is into Japanese Culture ect.) and she said that knowing someones blood type in Japan is like knowing someones eye or hair color here. If you go to the website for the Softbank Hawks and look at the roster, some players do have their blood types recorded. However, I really noticed this when I was looking at the "cheerleader" page. All of the girls have little bios and on them is their blood type. Weird...

When searching for pictures, I have noticed that lots of the pictures include fans holding yellow balloons. At first, I thought this was some type of very popular souvenir that everyone bought until I was doing a little research. The balloons are actually used as a little 'ritual' during the seventh inning. At the beginning of the seventh, almost all of the fans will pull out a couple of yellow balloons similar those used to make balloon animals. Some people write the names of their favorite players on them. Then, they will blow them up and wave them around during the inning. Finally, when the inning is over the all release the balloons free to fly around the stadium. Yeah pretty freaky.

-Holly

"Baseball is reassuring. It makes me feel as if the world is not going to blow up."
-Sharon Olds
-This Sporting Life

No comments: